Below is a list of pruning workshops and presentations given by Maryann. If you would like her to present to your group about aesthetic pruning or instruct an aesthetic pruning workshop please contact her at 971-266-9646 or email@example.com. References available upon request.
- The Art of Pruning, Presented at JM Cellars. Join us in the beautiful gardens of JM Cellars for a hands-on pruning workshop. With the garden as your classroom, you will learn the aesthetic pruning approach of assessing everything from the health and age of a tree to the current and future design role a tree plays in the garden.
The hands-on portion of the workshop will focus on seasonal appropriate pruning and planning for conifers and companion trees such as Japanese maples and mid-story shrubs.
We will start the workshop reviewing best practice pruning cuts as well as the aesthetic pruning process you can apply to any pruning project in any garden style. After our classroom time, we will get hands-on experience pruning trees and shrubs in the JM Cellars garden. This is a great opportunity to assess and develop a pruning plan for a variety of conifers within an established garden. Register now!
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning. A hands-on workshop focused on design of the existing trees and establishing a long term plan for future pruning goals in the Hoffman Center for the Arts Wonder Garden. 12 participants. October 13, 2018
- Aesthetic Pruning of Flowering Trees and Shrubs will cover aesthetic pruning principles and techniques applicable to flowering trees and shrubs. Learn how to get the most out of your flowers as well as keep your plant healthy and in scale to your garden. We will review some of the most common flowering trees and shrubs in the Portland area but also learn how to decipher and come up with a pruning plan for those less common. The class will be inside but time and weather permitting we will look at some of the flowering trees and shrubs in and around the Gresham Japanese Garden. Bring something to take notes with and water or a snack for the short 15 minute break. The class will be located at the Gresham Japanese Garden Resource Center at 219 S. Main Avenue, Gresham OR 97080. $40.00, from 1:00 to 4:30. April 21, 2018. Click here to register.
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning will cover aesthetic pruning principles and techniques applicable to any woody plant and many garden styles. We will cover basic tree biology, tools, safety, and decipher seasonal tasks. Learn how to use three types of cuts to achieve your pruning goals and develop a long term plan for fostering your woody plants.The class will be inside. An outline will be provided but bring something to take notes with. The class will be located at the Gresham Japanese Garden Resource Center at 219 S. Main Avenue, Gresham OR 97080. $40.00, from 1:00 to 4:30. January 27, 2018
- American Conifer Society Western Region Meeting 2017 at the Oregon Garden in Silverton, Oregon. The workshop is an ACS pre-meeting event limited to two session of four people each. Workshop attendees will learn about the application of aesthetic pruning principles with a focus on aesthetic pruning of conifers. Visit the ACS Western Region website for more information and registration. June 1, 2017
- North American Japanese Garden Association presents, Branching Out in the South: Pruning Small Trees and Shrubs in the Japanese Tradition. The workshop was held at the Sara P. Duke Gardens, Culberson Asiatic Arboretum, Durham, North Carolina. October 22 & 23rd, 2015
- North American Japanese Garden Association presents, The Phoenix Rises: A skills development workshop on moss gardening, aesthetic pruning and small stone design. The workshop was hosted at the historic Garden of the Phoenix on the Wooded Island in Jackson Park, Chicago. October 16, 2014
- Marin Master Gardeners Pruning Guild. Instructor for the pruning guild at Falkirk Cultural Center in 2013 and Marin Primary in 2014.
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning. A slide presentation focused on pruning with design intent for the Association of Northwest Landscape Designers. January 7, 2019
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning. A slide presentation and brief demonstration for the Hoffman Center for the Arts in Manzanita, Oregon. October 12, 2018
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning. Demonstration and presentation on aesthetic pruning with a focus on pruning with design intent for the Fir Grove Garden Club, Portland Oregon. March 21, 2018
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning. A slide presentation and short demonstration for the Salem Hardy Plant Society. March 6, 2018
- The Impact of the APA on the Aesthetic Pruning Community. Presented as the third member of a panel with Randall Lee and Grant Foerster. Aesthetic Pruners Association: Doing Well by Doing Good. Presented at the North American Japanese Garden Association biennial conference: Towards a Healthier World, Japanese Gardens as Places for Wellness and Transformation. Held at the Morikami Museum & Japanese Gardens Delray Beach, Florida. March 7-8, 2016
- Aesthetic Pruning. Pleasant Hill Garden Study Club. One hour slide presentation and short demonstration about aesthetic pruning. August 4, 2015
- The Influence of Aesthetic Pruning: Integration of indoor and outdoor spaces with aesthetic pruning concepts. Presented to the high school floral students of Central High School Agriculture Department as part of a series of presentations for the Youth Aesthetic Pruning course. The series of classes were held outdoors at the Shinzen Friendship Garden in Woodward Park, Fresno California.
- Introduction to Aesthetic Pruning. A one hour pruning demonstration using aesthetic pruning principals. Presented to the Livermore-Amador Valley Garden Club in Pleasanton California.